What to do before?
• Watch videos on Biting Brophy and/or Screaming Sonya. The link to the videos are embedded in the tip sheets, which were designed for parents, but can be used by any loving adult.
• Review tips sheets for Biting Brophy and/or Screaming Sonya. Be prepared to discuss how “Teach Before the Peak” principles apply, what skills the adult needs to successful support a child, and any questions/answers for coaching others through these common challenges
What to bring on 5-31-17
• Computer or tablet (extension cord if needed)
• Things to color and doddle with and journal for self reflection activities
• Earbuds/headphones if you want to listen to a video or audio file
• “Go to resources” (print or digital) related to self-regulation (e.g., SCERTS; Stop, Think, Act; resources from The MEHRIT Centre)[/text_block]
- Bonus! Click here to download our NEW Power of Play Ebook – full of inspirational quotes!
If you struggle to write IEP goals that help children thrive in school and in life, then I invite you to join a private FB group!
Each week-day in April, I’ll be using a time-tested and research-based formula to makeover some of the most challenging IEP goals.
As a community, we’ll work to give IEPs for preschoolers a much needed makeover by co-creating goals that are measurable and meaningful!
Coaching Strategies and Practices
Responding to Challenging Behaviors
Developmental and Learning Progressions
Kristiepf Symbaloo Main Webmix
On any given webmix, you’ll find pictures/images called tiles. Each title is a hyperlinked web-based resource, or a hyperlink to a sub-webmix of related resources.
On the KristiePF main webmix, you will find a set of primary tiles related to professional development and learning (e.g., andragogy, five moments of need). Each of these primary tiles takes you to sub-webmix with 100s of additional resources.
Also off the main webmix, you’ll find a tile for my publications and a variety of ways to connect using social media (e.g., YouTube, FaceBook, LinkedIn).
Click here for a handout that helps you navigate my main webmix.[/text_block]
• PBIS applied to Pre-K by L. Fox & D. Perez Binder [pdf]
• Beyond Treats & Timeouts: Humanistic Behavioral Supports…[pdf]
• It’s Time to Flip Behavior Cards and Charts to STOP! [blog]
• Additional “Teach Before the Peak” [video]
• Shanker Self-Reg website [link]
• Draft notes on weathering the storm [link]
• Behavior tracking sample forms from Barbara Avila
Full behavior sheet sample [google DRIVE link]
Escalation tracking version 1 [google DRIVE link]
Escalation tracking version 2 [google DRIVE link]
Added 12-22-16; In this video, Barbara Avila from Synergy Autism Center talks about six steps to help you be a better play partner and help children with ASD develop social reciprocity.[/custom_html][/op_liveeditor_element]
Developers: In this video we talk about what to do (and what not to do) when a child is causing harm to the themselves, to you, and/or to others. Learn more about how to calm the chaos in your classroom at http://curiositytoyou.com.[/custom_html][/op_liveeditor_element]
Related Resources to Joining Play:
Co-Constructing Mother–Infant Distress in Face-to-Face Interactions: Contributions of Microanalysis [pdf]
MY JOURNEY IN INFANT RESEARCH AND PSYCHOANALYSIS: Microanalysis, a Social Microscope [pdf]
What is a Secure Attachment? And Why Doesn’t “Attachment Parenting” Get You There?
How to Be a Quiet Adult: Five Tips to Encourage Child-Directed Play [link][/text_block]
Related Blog Posts
• Podcast 14: Did You Know Every Child Is A Triangle?
• Podcast 10: Discovering What Comes Before Counting
• Podcast 2: 7 Developmental Progressions to Troubleshoot when Children are Struggling[/text_block]
• Big Ideas for Early Learning Glossary (sample) [pdf]
• Writing Rubric [pdf]
• Self-Regulation Rubric [Google DRIVE]
• Self-Regulation Data Collection Form [pdf]
• Samples of IEP goals (aka things that are IEP worthy) [Google DRIVE]
• Dimensions of behavior [pdf][/text_block]
• Every Child is a Triangle [video]
• What to teach – common outcomes [video]
• What to teach when children struggle [video]
• What to teach when development has stalled [video]
• TBP Starting with What
• TBP What is IEP Worthy [/text_block]
RESOURCES related to Graphic Practice
NOTE: This resource is available in the Pre-K Teach & Play shop for free. As I correct and/or update things, the shop will always have the most current version. Click here and/or share this link with teaching teams https://prekteachandplay.com/shop/graphic-practice-training-video/.
Research articles to support activities like Graphic Practice
• What Preschool Classroom Experiences Are Associated With Whether Children Improve in Visuomotor Integration? [pdf]
• How Are Motor Skills Linked to Children’s School Performance and Academic Achievement? [pdf]
• Contributions of executive function and spatial skills to preschool mathematics achievement [pdf]
• Fine Motor Skills and Executive Function Both Contribute to Kindergarten Achievement [link]