Sample from your 2020 SLI
Professional Development Library
Inclusive Tips and Solutions for Early Educators
- When we start with “how to teach” we miss the opportunity to sit beside and get to know the child
- Assessment, instruction, and play are synonyms and occur simultaneously…with play at the center of all that we do
- Shift our mindsets (regardless of where instruction takes place) so we see our work as being with children vs. doing to children
- Barriers leaders can remove and/or things to stop doing – start doing:
- Ask “why” over judging or “shoulding”
- Connect before taking an action or giving an answer
- Create a match and imitate before asking
- Let go of the “high” of being the fixer – experience joy in seeing others solve the problem
- Actions need to match your words, beliefs, and values
- Check yourself to make sure you are showing up in the same way you want teachers to show up with children
Length = 54:00 and tips start at minute mark 11:00
Click here for the audio only
Use the following quotes and questions to dig deeper into the content and ideas shared during this session.
- “Play should be at the center of all we do.”
- “Children’s.. sense of identity are being formed in these early years”
- “We need to ask families ‘what do you want? What would work for your family?'”
- “We have to believe in children from our heart-space, not from our headspace.”
- “Once you open your heart, children respond to that.”
- “You are not alone – you don’t have to figure things out yourself.”
NOTE: More powerful questions start with WHY, HOW, and WHAT. Moderately powerful questions start with WHO, WHEN, and WHERE. Less powerful questions start with WHICH and are YES/NO oriented.
- When you are playing with children, what are you doing and what are they doing, feeling, experiencing?
- When have you experienced a time that fostered a sense of possibility and belonging?
- What is one thing you would change if there weren’t any limits or restrictions?
- What is one thing we can do more of, the same, or one thing we could do differently to would move us closer to including all children?
- How can you overcome the barriers/obstacles/resistance using the tips and ideas shared in this session?